CAS: 557-04-0 Pharmaceutical excipients Magnesium Distearate
|359.4ºC at 760mmHg
The Introductction of Magnesium Distearate:
Magnesium Distearate is the chemical compound with the formula Mg(C18H35O2). It is a soap, consisting of salt containing two equivalents of stearate (the anion of stearic acid) and one magnesium cation (Mg2+). Magnesium stearate is a white, water-insoluble powder. Its applications exploit its softness, insolubility in many solvents, and low toxicity. It is used as a release agent and as a component or lubricant in the production of pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
Magnesium stearate is produced by the reaction of sodium stearate with magnesium salts or by treating magnesium oxide with stearic acid. Some nutritional supplements specify that the sodium stearate used in manufacturing magnesium stearate is produced from vegetable-derived stearic acid.
The Application & Function of Magnesium Distearate:
1. Magnesium Distearate is widely used in food additives, medicine, paint, plastic rubber, textile and other industries, mainly as anti-caking agents, emulsifiers, mold release agents, lubricants, stabilizers, thickeners, accelerators, cosmetic base materials.
2. Magnesium Distearate is a new type of pharmaceutical excipient, which can be used as a film-forming coating material for solid preparations, a thickener for colloidal liquid preparations, a suspension, etc.
3.Magnesium Distearate is used as a heat stabilizer for polyvinyl chloride, a lubricant for ABS, amino resin, phenolic resin and urea-formaldehyde resin, paint additive
4. Magnesium stearate has an excellent adhesion property to the skin with excellent lubrication property. It can be applied to powder products in cosmetics and can improve adhesion and lubrication.
5. Magnesium stearate can be used as PVC heating stabilizers with the stability performance being similar to calcium stearate and can be combined with zinc or calcium soaps for being applied to food packaging material but without very wide application.
6. Magnesium stearate can be used as a mold releasing agent of plastic products, face powder of cosmetics, the raw material of skin ointment, the powder molding tablet of pharmaceutical tablets and translucent flatting agent of paint.
Other Name of Magnesium Distearate:stearatedemagnesium;MAGNESIUM STEARATE;MAGNESIUM OCTADECANOATE;MAGENSIUM STEARATE;STEARIC ACID MAGNESIUM SALT;OCTADECONIC ACID MAGNESIUM SALT;OCTADECANOIC ACID MAGNESIUM SALT;Magnesium Stearate Bp
The COA of Magnesium Distearate:
|A very fine, light, white powder, odourless or with a very slight odour of steric acid.
|Identification A and B
|Acidity or alkalinity
|Loss on drying
|Relative content of stearic acid and palmitic acid